Forum Home | User Profile | Register | Members | Groups | Search | FAQ | Back to:OnIntelligence.org
onintelligence.org Forum Index -> General Discussion On the Book -> PREDICTION? OR EXPECTATION?

 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. View previous topic :: View next topic  


Author Message
jojo


Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 1

10-14-09, 11:40 am
PostPost subject: PREDICTION? OR EXPECTATION? Reply with quote

Jeff Hawkins seems to use the term "prediction" as if it is synonymous with "expectation" in many cases. But they are different terms. But the difference between the two can also become blurred and sometimes the same depending on how one uses the terminology. One can argue that probability success rate is extremely high for "expectation". As for "prediction", the probability success rate can range from very low to high. For example, the weather forecast tomorrow in San Francisco predicts 20% chance of rain. There's a low probability of 20% rain and high probability of 80% that it will not rain. On the other hand I expect that tomorrow will come and we will all live to see another day. That's a high probability, close to 100%. Expectations are almost a 100% given. When I flip a coin I don't EXPECT that it will land heads up or land tails up but rather I PREDICT that it land heads up or tails up which theoretically has a 50% probability either way given that it is a fair balanced regular coin. But I EXPECT that it will land heads or tails face up, no matter which side of the coin it lands on and don't expect the coin to land on it's edge. When I come home, I expect all my furniture to be in the same place. If I jump up, I expect to come back down to earth. To me those aren't predictions but expectations, an almost automatic given. If I'm playing chess, I'm making predictions to what my opponents moves are going to be. I don't expect him to make those moves. What do you think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Author Message
nobig28


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1

11-09-09, 12:57 am
PostPost subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is that for me, Prediction has a lesser percentage of coming true rather than Expectation which has a more credible effect once it is used.

it is like
PREDICTION = 30-40% chance

while..

EXPECTATION = 50-80% chance
_________________
IVA Advice England
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Please contact the board administrators if you have any questions regarding the OnIntelligence.org forums.