Forum Home | User Profile | Register | Members | Groups | Search | FAQ | Back to:OnIntelligence.org
onintelligence.org Forum Index -> General Discussion On the Book -> PREDICTION? OR EXPECTATION?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. View previous topic :: View next topic  

jojo

10-14-09, 11:40 am
PostPost subject: PREDICTION? OR EXPECTATION? Reply with quote

Jeff Hawkins seems to use the term "prediction" as if it is synonymous with "expectation" in many cases. But they are different terms. But the difference between the two can also become blurred and sometimes the same depending on how one uses the terminology. One can argue that probability success rate is extremely high for "expectation". As for "prediction", the probability success rate can range from very low to high. For example, the weather forecast tomorrow in San Francisco predicts 20% chance of rain. There's a low probability of 20% rain and high probability of 80% that it will not rain. On the other hand I expect that tomorrow will come and we will all live to see another day. That's a high probability, close to 100%. Expectations are almost a 100% given. When I flip a coin I don't EXPECT that it will land heads up or land tails up but rather I PREDICT that it land heads up or tails up which theoretically has a 50% probability either way given that it is a fair balanced regular coin. But I EXPECT that it will land heads or tails face up, no matter which side of the coin it lands on and don't expect the coin to land on it's edge. When I come home, I expect all my furniture to be in the same place. If I jump up, I expect to come back down to earth. To me those aren't predictions but expectations, an almost automatic given. If I'm playing chess, I'm making predictions to what my opponents moves are going to be. I don't expect him to make those moves. What do you think?

nobig28

11-09-09, 12:57 am
PostPost subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is that for me, Prediction has a lesser percentage of coming true rather than Expectation which has a more credible effect once it is used.

it is like
PREDICTION = 30-40% chance

while..

EXPECTATION = 50-80% chance

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Jump to: